Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Word Samosa

And I'm not trying to bait you here, but could you show me where it *is* said/spelled this way?

Sure.

Samoza
Samusa
Samboosa

The samoza variant seems more of a Euro-Indian thing and anything with a B in it is more Arab.

I dunno how it's rendered in Hindi but you can see that they've got a bunch of S sounds, some of which might get transliterated as a Z, and a whole lotta vowel sounds, which are nearly always inexact.

This is pretty hard to look at, but the Farsi rendering of somosa looks to me like four letters: SMUS. (Grain of salt required because I'm a novice.) In Farsi and non-fancy Arabic a lot of the stuff between consonants is unwritten, so English rendering is hard and varies with the whims of the person who does it.

It's this kind of thing that made me positive that the whole Jamil Hussein thingie was going to revolve around spelling and transliteration, but I was too stupid to take bets on the outcome.

2 comments:

Thers said...

I want to eat a samosa now. Yum.

Righteous Bubba said...

Now I need a tamale.

Good Atrios subbing back then, BTW. Excellent even.