Friday, June 19, 2009

Minor Chortle Snatched From the Jaws of Boredom

I was looking up that stupid Stanley Fish article about Obama saying "I" a lot ("we" meaning "I" as well of course) because John Zeigler, in describing the Palin/Letterman thingamajig he formed an embarrassing part of, says "I" quite a bit. Why would that be, I wonder?

Anyway, the mysteries of Google led me to The Whirlpool's Rim and a guy seems to approvingly cite that and National Review stuff and who also writes paragraphs like this:
Is it unusual -- or is it just to the point -- that the "propulsion of a pointed shaft through a man's jaw" is a description not only of an action performed within a poem, but also of the pronouncement of the poet, of the activity of speech (giving the lie to the thought that music is the only kind of communication that gathers the authority of both meaning and sound)? How would the sound of the poet's words be carried through the air to his hearers except by some shaft? And is authority accomplished without the wound inflicted by that shaft and calmed by "the leeching lips of time?"*
Yes yes, shafts, jaws, lips. WHO WROTE THIS PIFFLE?

9 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm going to get right to work on my 'latop' and get to the bottom of this.
~

M. Bouffant said...

Rim well, or don't at all.

herr doktor bimler said...

I do not want Mr Rimwell thrusting his opinions down my throat, with or without the involvement of leeching lips.

Righteous Bubba said...

I always feel like...somebody's rimming meeeeee...

And I have no privacy!

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Lucky RB.

Righteous Bubba said...

It's the kissing afterwards that presents the problem.

herr doktor bimler said...

Same problem with goats.

Another Kiwi said...

Goats never mean it, too.

Righteous Bubba said...

Faithless lawnmowers chomping your can...